Saturday, June 16, 2012

No Poo... Yeah, I did it...

Ok, so I have decided to actually post on my blog instead of spending all of my time on Facebook! Wow! Ok... so moving along...

I decided to go no poo, yep... I'm sure most of you know what that is because it seems like it's huge in blog land! For those of you who don't, it means that I have given up my shampoo and conditioner. I did this about a month ago and I have to say, so far I'm pretty happy with it! No I'm still cleaning my head! I just wash with baking soda and condition with apple cider vinegar. Yeah, I know it sounds strange, but I've gotta tell you, it's working and the feeling I have after washing with the BS (Baking Soda) ...lol... it feels so good when I rinse! I get a squeaky clean feeling. Once I do my ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse, then wash it out, I'm good to go! I've gotta say that my natural curls are WAY more curly and more defined! That's something totally awesome for me, since I have searched and searched for hair products that could make my frizzy, naturally wavy hair do that, to no avail... So here's what I do:

1 TBSP baking soda (a bit more if feeling dirty or oily)

1 C. Water

I just mix them together in a measuring cup that I keep in the shower. ( I will eventually get a better method but this is working for me now) Pour it on my head and scrub. It does NOT lather, (but come on, we have all been brainwashed that things need to be bubbly in order to get clean, SO NOT TRUE) Rinse...

After that, I pour some ACV in my measuring cup (after rinsing it out 'cause it will bubble due to the baking soda!) I use about 1/8 C. and add 1 C. water.  I put it everywhere except my roots...  sometimes I just let it pour back from my head into the cup and soak my ends for a few seconds... I then let it sit, so you know... shave legs, arm pits, wash... whatever, I just let it soak for a while then rinse.

I've felt like it's sort of a hair detox in a way, so I feel guilty using any hair products afterwards. Crazy for me, cause I love my products! I just let it go and dry natural. I did learn that using a Tee shirt instead of a towel is the absolute best for curly hair! Just scrunch with that and let it go natural. Not using products after was the worst for me! SO HARD! but it's healthier right!, so..... I have been a fuzz poof for a while, 'till I discovered an all natural Flax Seed hair gel that I made myself! Gotta say that is the very best hair gel I have ever used! That can be another post though....

Gotta go, got a frittata in the oven... So maybe I'm back, who knows, we'll see...But I've gotta say, it feels so good to post again!

5 comments:

sudore said...

Well, I started using no shampoo a couple of days after you and I have to say I am pleased. I have known for years that shampoo was bad for you but just did not know what to use instead. I find that my hair seems to stay cleaner longer, & it just feels different, in a good way. Unlike you I just dump some soda (what I think is a tablespoon) in a big plastic cup, put some water in there which I'm sure is more than a cup... same for the vinegar. I had & still do have a problem with no bubbles, but hey it works. So thanks to introducing this to me, I think I will keep doing it.

cewmont said...

I had a fleeting thought or two before of trying this. Now that you've made it sound so easy, I may give it a try. So--does the hair smell "vinegary" afterwards?

courtne450 said...

Cewmont... To me it smells vinegary for just a little while. My mom says hers never smells that way at all. Maybe it just depends on your hair? I've been doing this for a couple of months and still like it. You should give it a try! just remember that it will take your hair some time to adjust, just don't give up through that "icky" stage...

henry.J said...

very nice blog. good articles.


Sixthsense Wearable Phone

courtne450 said...

I did have a dream last night that I actually used real shampoo, and it was wonderful... perhaps I will cave and go back to using the unhealthy store bought shampoo... I don't really want to, but sometimes I really do miss it!