Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fisherman's Pie

Ok, so here's the recipe for the fisherman's pie I made the other night that ended up in the trash because "someone" left it in the microwave over night... This recipe was good but it needs some tweaking!

Fisherman's Pie


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 cup heavy cream or single cream
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 (6 ounce) fillets cod or other white fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 teaspoon hot chili powder
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon butter

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Place potatoes into a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and mash with milk and butter until smooth.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry onion and carrots in the oil until starting to soften. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder. Stir in the cream and parsley, and remove from the heat.
  4. Place fish in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the cream and vegetable mixture over the fish, then cover with a layer of mashed potatoes. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until piping hot throughout.
Ok, first of all... I suggest you use more carrot. One is definitely not enough! The one carrot just kind of dissappeared! Also when I make this again I will probably throw in some other vegetable as well... maybe broccoli? or peas? not sure yet. I used half and half. That worked just fine. I did not use hot chili powder because I just had regular and I might suggest that you use a little more than the 1/4 tsp. that is calls for. Also it could use more fish. I used 3 peices of whiting fish and next time I will use 4 or 5. The mashed potatoes... I threw in a little sour cream and more butter... also a little more milk than what it called for. I found that they were quite dry when made as directed.

I thought this turned out pretty well other than the fact that it needed more stuff... You might think it's horribly gross, please don't blame me if you make it and think it's nasty! I got it from Allrecipes.com I absolutely love that web site! I use it all the time!

1 comment:

Mrs. Jennifer said...

Thank you for the recipe!! I love how you add your own touch to it! To me, that is the sign of a great cook!