Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pine cone bird feeders

A couple of weeks ago when we went fishing at Oak Mountain... Bobby found some really big pine cones and loaded them up in the van, thinking we would find some use for them. Well, he came up with the idea to make peanut butter pine cone birdfeeders. I remember doing this when I was in elementary school and we hung it outside of our classroom window. Well, yesterday was the perfect day to do it! It was so beautiful outside! I'm sure no one needs a tutorial on how to make these, but I'll give you the step by step run down anyway...

First make sure you have: Pine cones, peanut butter, birdseed (we used sunflower seed), spatulas or good child safe spreaders and a big ole smile on your face!Spread the peanut butter all over your pine cone... glopping on the peanut butter will work just fine!
We used our little red wagon to put all of the bird seed in, and just rolled the pine cones around in it!
After a lot of laughing, giggling, throwing of birdseed in the yard, and licking of the peanut butter... there you have it... Viola! a pine cone bird feeder!


Watch out it can be VERY VERY MESSY!




I was pretty disappointed when the birds didn't come and gobble it all up, maybe they will today. I haven't been out there to check on them today, but I have a feeling the squirrels will be enjoying them too!

6 comments:

MamaHen said...

Sounds like fun! The messier the better at my house.

sudore said...

That is precious! Good memories for you all to have.
mom

Cindy said...

Love the photos. And you are blogging again!!! I don't seem to have the energy and I'm so addicted to FarmVille. I know it takes my mind off of other things but I've got to get back to the real world. I hope to post some new photos tomorrow. They might not be great but at least they'll be something.

Have a great Sunday.

Mrs. Jennifer said...

So did your daughter stand out there with her hands in the air waiting for the birds?!?!

Melissa said...

That is such a creative idea! We have tons of birds that come to our yard because we have a pond, so it would be nice to be able to feed them too. My kids would love making these too since they are messy and boys love making messes.

william2233 said...

This looks fun, from a children author of Concord, Ca.

http://www.freewebs.com/william2233/index.htm