Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A little "I love you" can go a long way...

The other day, Tad was very grumpy... he's grumpy quite often, but I am so glad when Lexie is here and she will go in there to play with him. Sometimes I think it just gets to be a bit much for her, but usually she doesn't mind at all since he has a tv in his room and she can watch some of her shows while she's in there with him. Well... I've been considering STRONGLY having our cable turned off. I told her this, and let her know that while she is in there playing with him to just leave his baby movie on, because she needs to get used to not watching tv. I don't have a problem with PBS, but the rest of the crap that comes on television we can most certainly live without! Anyway, I could go on a total rant about my views on television and how it is just straight from Satan himself but, that was not the point of this blog post. (I'll save that for another day :) Ok, well... I had asked her several times to go in there with Tad so that I wouldn't have to hear him scream, told her to take her book in there and just keep him company. Bless her heart she didn't complain at all. She had been in there with him for the majority of the day and she finally comes out asking me if she can go play in her room for a while. My first initial response was "Oh Please go back in there" "Ok" she said again without complaining.... "What did you want to do in your room?" ...considering she NEVER EVER plays in her room. She doesn't really play that much anymore... She said, "To play with my Littlest Pet Shop for a while" Then I felt sooo bad and of course said ok... go play. She shoots out of the living room so fast you wouldn't believe it! Then I had one of those Mom moments where you realize that your kids are totally awesome... you know all of those times you think on all of the negative things about them and wish they would be like you "really" want them to be... Well I realized this about Lexie in this brief fleeting moment from the time she went from the living room to the hallway. I take for granted sometimes how truly good of a kid she really is. I screamed out "Lexie!" ... "Ma'am?" she calls from the hallway "Lexie!!!" ... "Ma'am" she says as she is coming back into the living room, undoubtedly thinking she is in trouble for something... "I love you" I say... Boy oh boy did she light up! You have no IDEA the difference in this child at this moment! (Please don't think that I don't tell my child I love her on a regular basis.... believe me I do) But at this moment when I said those 3 little words she instantly smiled and said "Oh, Mom... is there anything I can get you?... do you need some more green tea? Would you like anything at all? Just let me know if there is anything... anything! I love you!" Wow! that was nice. I let her know that I was good but I would call her if I needed her... she went on and on telling me that I would know where she was and, to be SURE and call her when I needed something.... About 2 minutes later she comes back into the living room and pulls off my socks. She had lotion in her hands and proceeded to give me a wonderful footrub!!! Nice huh? She was a total angel for the rest of the night! Bless her sweet heart...

So yeah, sometimes just saying those three little words to someone... at that right moment, can really mean the world to someone and make their day...

2 comments:

ashville said...

How wonderful to have that special moment with your child. That time when you are focused and connected with each other. And as they grow older, it happens less often.They grow older and get caught up in their own world and you kinda feel left out, but that love is still there, just covered over with lives going in different directions.So enjoy those special moments, they are memories that you will both tuck away and will remain.Saying "I love you," covers it all and are the most powerful words in the world. We should not be afraid to use these words, for they are gifts from the heart.

~ Regan said...

Yay!!! You're back!! My dashboards thingy didn't show your new posts- I don't know why because I haven't stopped following you!! I'm so glad you are back- looks like I am going to have to come back tonight when the baby goes to bed and catch up!
Hope things have improved for you and yours... talk to you soon!