Friday, June 19, 2009

Poop on a stick




They called it poop on a stick... yes, that's right... poop on a stick. I told them several times that they were Armenian Beef Kebabs, but they liked the other name much better. Lexie especially thought it was funny coming up with all of the funny things she could say... like, Mom, I sure do love your poop on a stick, Mom, your poop sure is great!... things like that. Yes, I know... not very good table talk. It was just so funny. What could I say?... So now Lexie has changed the plan of having cheeseburgers for her birthday to... "Oooh, ooh, mom can I have poop on a stick for my birthday? Please Please Please." So, Grandmama and Grandpa... guess what you're having for dinner when you come to the house Monday night... sorry...

The recipe:
Poop on a stick
(Armenian beef kebabs)

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped mint
1 tsp minced garlic (mine was expired so I had to use 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp each ground cumin and paprika
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
8 skewers, 6 to 8 in. long

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/4 c. each). With hands, (I wore gloves because I don't touch raw meat... ewww) form each into 1 in. thick, around each skewer. Place skewers on broiler pan; broil 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Serve with Pickled Red Onions.

Pickled Red Onions

1 red onion thinly sliced: toss with 1 Tbsp lemon juice (I used more) and 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and salt. Let mixture stand 15 min until onions are limp. (I had to let mine sit longer because they were not going limp)



Now, I can't say that this is the best recipe ever, but they were actually kind of good despite what they looked like. And for Lexie and Bobby to like them, that says something, because they always find something to complain about when I cook something. So this one was a winner for us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to Lexie's birthday and uh....poop on a stick.
Love,
Mom

Mrs. Jennifer said...

It's as if I was at my very own table.
Can NOT wait to introduce my fam to poop on a stick!

Cindy said...

That's too funny. Cute story. Happy Birthday Lexie.

Cindy